February 6th, 2018 2:30 PM
Brookfield Zoo hosts its annual FREEze Day - a free admission day featuring winter fun activities, including dogsledding demonstrations and more -- on Sunday, Feb. 11.
Valentine's social for seniors
All Brookfield senior citizens are invited to attend the Valentine's Day Senior Social, co-hosted by the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce and the Brookfield Aging Well team, on Sunday, Feb. 11 from 1 to 3 p.m. in the lower-level recreation hall at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
The event usually draws more than 100 senior citizens for an afternoon of fun, featuring custom refreshments, beverages and entertainment.
For more information about the social and to register for the event, seniors can contact Brookfield's Recreation Program Coordinator Mary Pezdek at 708-485-1527.
St. Louise makes a splash with 'Little Mermaid'
The St. Louise Players, a community theater group based at the LaGrange Park parish, presents "The Little Mermaid" over the next two weekends in the Parish center, 1125 Harrison Ave.
Enjoy some warm, tropical fun and beloved songs during this tale of a mermaid who dreams of being part of the human world.
Showtimes are Feb. 9, 10, 16 and 17 at 7 p.m. and Feb. 11 and 18 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $13 for adults, $11 for seniors and $7 for kids 12 and under. They are available at the door, through any cast member or online at SLMParish.org.
FREEze at Brookfield Zoo
Brookfield Zoo hosts its annual FREEze Day – a free admission day featuring winter fun activities, including dogsledding demonstrations and more -- on Sunday, Feb. 11.
From 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. enjoy dogsledding demonstrations on the West Mall, participate in Zoo Chats highlighting birds of prey, polar bears, Mexican gray wolves and snow leopards.
Parking fees still apply. Visit www.CZS.org for a full list of activities and times or call 708-688-8000.
The St. Mary Golden Bishops Chess Club and Chess Scholars host their 6th annual chess tournament from grades K through 8 on Saturday, Feb. 10 at the parish center at St. Mary School, 97 Herrick Road, Riverside.
Each participant plays five rounds and compete for trophies and medals in K-3 and 4-8 divisions. Chess sets and lunch included in $40 registration fee. Lunch and snacks for parents available for sale.
To register visit payment.chesscholars.com/signup and enter class code SMR2.10.18. Registration deadline is Feb. 8. Call 847-482-9999 or email info@ChessScholars.com for more info.
Mardi Gras and Talent Show
Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, hosts a Mardi Gras and Talent Night event to benefit its summer youth service projects on Saturday, Feb. 10.
Food is served from 6 to 7:30 p.m., with the talent show at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults ($5 kids 10 and under) and includes dinner and dessert. Beverages available for purchase. Buy tickets in advance from Ramona Suffern (708-447-9084) or Fred Kuzel (708-447-5251).
Anyone interested in sharing their talents can call Dale Hawes at 708-204-9358 or the church office at 708-442-5250.
• The Knights of Columbus at St. Mary Parish host an evening with Colleen and John Willard on Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. in the parish center, 97 Herrick Road in Riverside. The couple will talk about Colleen's inoperable brain tumor miraculously disappearing during after receiving communion at a Mass on a pilgrimage to Medjugorje in Bosnia-Hercegovina.
• North Riverside Parks and rec hosts a 2018 Rules of the Road course on Feb. 14 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Free, but registration required. Call 708-442-5515 to reserve a seat.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Movie Matinee featuring "Fever Pitch" starring Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore on Feb. 10 at 1 p.m.; an Interview Workshop on Feb. 12 at 6:30 p.m.; and a Film Discussion of the French film "Moka" on Feb. 13 at 6:30 p.m. Register to attend at 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents "Flat Earth," featuring the paintings of Chicago artist Andrew Falkowski through March 3 in the center's Freeark Art Gallery, which is open Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is free.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Information Seminar on Feb. 10 at 10 a.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn about program changes, how to select a supplemental plan and avoid mistakes. Also Make a Valentine takes place through Feb. 11 in the Great Room. Drop by the craft table anytime. Supplies provided.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Feb. 13 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on Feb. 8 at 10:30 a.m.; Pajama Storytime (all ages with adult) on Feb. 13 at 6:30 p.m.; Tales and Treats (ages 2-5, with adult) on Feb. 10 at 10:30 a.m.; and Lego Club Mega-Builders (1st grade ) on Feb. 9 at 3:45 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• Lyons Township High School invites the public to use the indoor track at the South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Spring on school days from 6 to 7 a.m. through March. No admission charge.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Riverside and Brookfield.
Dear Kylee, Kenna, Olutosin, Audrey, and Casey: Your courage to...
By Thomas Jacobs
Posted: May 19th, 2018 3:26 PM
On: Safety and freedom are not mutually...
"The victim stated he left the keys in the ignition of the...
By Earl Hickey
Posted: May 16th, 2018 10:19 PM
On: Man charged with Brookfield car...
What a fabulous art installation this year. Bravo!
By Jane Archer
Posted: May 16th, 2018 2:43 AM
On: Riverside Arts Weekend kicks off...
At the current rate, soon there won't be $4500 of...
By Ben Venuti
Posted: May 15th, 2018 4:33 PM
On: No injuries in Riverside head-on...
we moved Old School Records is at 413 Des Plaines Avenue...
By Peter Gianakopoulos
Posted: May 10th, 2018 6:01 PM
On: Old School Records
"I accepted it, but there's nothing we're going to do about it,"...
By Joe Garcia
Posted: May 8th, 2018 9:47 PM
On: Despite plea, Lincoln principal...
View All Comments