January 16th, 2018 3:23 PM
Cheryle McKay and Tim Feeney in "The Cure for Love" by Jay Berkow and directed by David Rodriguez, is onstage Jan. 18-28 at the Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave. | Courtesy of Theatre of Western Springs
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society kicks off its 50th year with their annual meeting on Friday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. at the Riverside Train Station, 90 Bloomingbank Road.
The public is invited to the event, which will include a program combining a narrated history of the society and its accomplishments in addition to a tribute to longstanding members.
Members who have supported the society for more than 10 years will have their names entered into a raffle, and new members will be enrolled that night. Refreshments will be served.
Art opening at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., will host an opening reception for its newest exhibition, "Flat Earth," featuring the paintings of Chicago artist Andrew Falkowski on Sunday, Jan. 21 from 3 to 6 p.m.
Falkowski's work "riff off pop-culture sources culled from junk mail, commercial packaging, magazines, art history and punk songs" to create "a sleek visual stylization of audio aggression."
The exhibition runs through March 3 in the center's Freeark Art Gallery, which is open Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is free.
Capone and the World's Fair
Join author William Hazelgrove as he explores the exciting and sprawling history behind the 1933 Chicago World's Fair during "Al Capone and the 1933 World's Fair" on Thursday, Jan. 18 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Learn how six millionaire businessmen, dubbed The Secret Six, beat Capone at his own game, ending the gangster era as Prohibition was repealed.
Taste the world at St. Barb's
St. Barbara Parish in Brookfield invites the public to a Multicultural Taste of St. Barbara in the parish center, 4015 Prairie Ave., on Saturday, Jan. 20 from 6 to 9 p.m.
Food and drink tickets will be available for purchase at the door. The family friendly event will also include raffles, kids' activities and music.
Call 708-485-2900 for more information.
Put a little l'amour in your life
"The Cure for Love" by Jay Berkow and directed by David Rodriguez, is onstage Jan. 18-28 at the Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave.
The play is a "delightfully naughty farce" set in 1832, featuring "courtesans, villains and l'amour."
Tickets are $20 and $22. Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or visit online at www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
• Lyons Township High School's Black Culture and Multi-Cultural clubs host a special Martin Luther King Jr. celebration on Jan. 11 at 6:30 p.m. in the South Campus Performing Arts Center, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs. The free event is open to the public.
• The Coalition for a Drug-Free Lyons Township hosts a panel discussion for parents titled "Healthy Minds and Bodies: The Importance of Keeping Your Teen Alcohol and Drug Free" on Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. at the LTHS South Campus Performing Arts Center, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs. For more information, visit www.drugfreelyonstownship.org.
• Sokol Stickney hosts is 45th Annual All-You-Can-Eat Pancake and French Toast Breakfast on Jan. 20 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the auditorium at St, Hugh Parish, 4346 Prescott Ave. in Lyons. Tickets are $7 for adults and $3 for kids 6-12. Under 6 eat free.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec hosts its free Movie of the Month on Jan. 19 at 1 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. This month's film is the 2016 Academy Award nominee "Lion." Admission and refreshments are free, Call 708-442-5515 to reserve a seat.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Make Your Own Cosplay Armor on Jan. 20 at 3 p.m. and Learn How to Cosplay on Jan. 23 at 7:30 p.m. All ages with adult. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts an RTA Transit-Oriented Presentation on Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room; DIY Fandom Coasters on Jan. 18 from 5-8 p.m. in the Great Room; and Keep Calm and Color (for adults) on Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Call 708-442-6366 for more info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Jan. 23 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on Jan. 18 at 10:30 a.m.; Love2Read (grades K-1) on Jan. 20 at 10:30 a.m.; Crafts & Cookies (2nd grade /K-1 with adult) on Jan. 19 at 3:45 p.m.; and Manners Class (1st grade ) on Jan. 23 at 3:45 p.m. The library also hosts a CUB Utility Bill Clinic on Jan. 24 from 2 to 4 p.m. bring your utility bills for analysis and learn to avoid unnecessary fees. Free. Call 708-447-0869 to sign up.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• Lyons Township High School invites the public to use the indoor track at the South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Spring on school days from 6 to 7 a.m. through March. No admission charge.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Riverside and Brookfield.
Could you please get info from Lyons PD on s regular basis!
By Pattie Grahovac-Wisneski
Posted: February 21st, 2019 6:35 PM
On: Masked burglar scared off by teen |...
It's a shame that a school district has to do this but...
By Nancy Cooney
Posted: February 21st, 2019 5:36 PM
On: D103 website now features 'fact...
Charlie, Chris Stach passed away a couple of years ago.
By Dave Gruhlke
Posted: February 20th, 2019 5:29 PM
On: Brookfield's elevated views
Chris- We met years ago regarding the Grossdale Station. I am...
By Charlie Vlk
Posted: February 19th, 2019 8:52 PM
On: Brookfield's elevated views
It is sad to see that Riverside has succumb to the state of...
By Jon Points
Posted: February 17th, 2019 9:57 PM
On: Crime prevention, cameras on tap in...
The best of Riverside!
By Jerry Buttimer
Posted: February 16th, 2019 6:03 PM
On: Riverside veteran to be honored at...
View All Comments